Friday, April 5, 2013

Round The Bend - A Sinkhole ?

" It's like a marathon; the last kilometres are so difficult because you are so tired. Greece though is close to overcoming its worst crisis in modern times and although there may be protests- even violent at times- but the country is about to turn the corner.To a large extend Greece is out of the woods."
These , looking through life through rose-coloured glasses, words were said by the Oxford educated ( the Elite's favourite conditioning unit ) Yannis Stournaras, Greece's Finance Minister, when he spoke to a repeater, I mean reporter  from the Guardian newspaper.

Phew ! So we can all jump up and down, and dance around in delight.. We are about to turn a corner and get out of the woods.I wonder though, as we are entering a new golden age, why there still might be violent protests at times.It seems that the people do not wear the same glasses as Stournaras; more like shadesof grey to black.


Say these pearls of wisdom to my 86 year old neighbour on 300 euros a month pension, who recently fell and broke her hip, and then while she was getting over this, she broke her ankle.She said to me just a few days ago, that she didn't know how she would survive and be able to live on her pension, in view of the costs of medicine coupled with the new sky-high bills.Well she didn't survive. Since writing the above I have just been told that she died.She was a wonderful character who will be missed by many. There is no doubt in my mind that she would have survived if this awful crisis wasn't going on.I wonder how many others are like her.

What would Morfo Karodona make of the Finance Minister's words ? She , according to the National Herald edition of 14.3.2013, is a 45 year old lady in Greece who has been battling cancer for 6 years.She told them;

" Now I can't afford the drugs I need.Ensuring I get the drugs I need is a matter of life and death to me."

How would that attractive middle-aged woman I saw in the DEH ( Greece's Electricity's provider ) react, if told, that we have turned the corner ?She was standing in the office crying her eyes out and shaking, after she had been told that they would not accept payment of her electricity bill in two parts. Such nice, compassionate officials; no doubt it made them feel powerful and big.They were merely following orders they told her. So, I suppose , if the orders were to shoot everyone who didn't pay the bill, they would obey it.

I dread to think what the owner of a shop near me would say if he heard that Greece was out of the woods.
He owned a shop selling electrical goods, and had run a lucrative, thriving business for thirty years. He shut shop for the last time a few days ago. I was passing the shop at the time. I thought he was going to cry when he told me that he had no idea how he would be able to feed his large family now, what with his two sons unable to find work, his wife without a job and his grandma living with him too.

When you think that this is going on in my small area ,you realise that it is most likely, the same   almost everywhere in Greece .

Such a cruel, monstrous,never before seen in peacetime, austerity inflicted on Greece  by a bunch of out of touch, pampered ,rich, inhuman, uncaring, dark- hearted, dark suited officials from the Tower Of Babel's HQ in Europe should never, never have been allowed.These same people are now robbing banks with immunity in Cyprus, and will, no doubt, rob a lot more banks in Europe because it is so easy to do this.

The one thing that Stournaras didn't say was what we will all see when we turn his beloved corner.

I suspect it's a giant sinkhole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment