Monday, June 11, 2012

Tom Jones:Crown Of The Jubilee Concert.

Prince Phillip once said to a young aspiring singer, after hearing him sing at a Royal Variety Show:"Do you gargle with marbles?" The unfortunate recipient of this oh so witty remark was non other than Tom Jones.So, the good Prince must have gained some pleasure from his bladder infection as it prevented him from listening to the guy who gargles with marbles.

I watched the Jubilee Concert, firstly watching Paul McCartney  and then  Elton John; two giants of pop music.I greatly admire the talent that these guys have and their massive contribution to pop and to our culture.

However, I don't know what it was, maybe I was expecting too much from these Gods of pop, but something was missing.They were singing in tune, the instruments around them were all playing well, but....

Then, I saw and heard Tom Jones.I quite thought that he would sing:'What's New Pussycat, or Queeniecat?'

But no, luckily he didn't.I mean how many times can you hear this song over the course of a lifetime run ?It's a bit like Paul's 'Yesterday'.Know what I mean?

So, I was surprised when he launched into that old chestnut :'Delilah' But was it good , or was it above just good?To my ears he left  Paul and  Elton standing well on the sidelines.
Shirley Bassey and the never ageing Cliff Richard I would place in 2nd and 3rd place.They both displayed an excellent stage presence and vocal delivery.

But, Tom Jones, well, I was impressed.It was great to hear a man singing like a man and with so much power.

I was never an avid fan of Tom Jones, although I liked some of his songs, such as 'Green Green Grass Of Home' and he does an excellent version of Roy Orbison's classic:"In Dreams".


At the Jubilee though , he really shone.Such a wonderful laid back arrangement only added to the magic he produced.

I don't like the words of 'Delilah', describing killing someone, but as a lyric about jealousy gone mad it is spot on.Jealousy has, unfortunately, driven people into acts of complete insanity, as the song illustrates so well.

Tom's voice seems to have improved over the years, much like the great Roy Orbison's did, the older he got.

So, well done Tom, you outshone two mighty icons by the sheer power of your voice, and your dexterity in delivering lyrics in an honest passionate way.

In reply to Prince Phillip's remark about gargling with marbles, if only Tom had said:"Maybe your ears are damaged by the sound of gunfire as you pull the trigger to kill animals".

It would have been :" Off with his head", I suppose.

Anyway, keep it up Tom; ignore the insults of a man whose only talent is to be rude.Photo of Tom Jones




                                                                             


                                                                               
                                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment