Sunday, June 24, 2018

Eternal Truths From The Bhagavad Gita

Eternal Truths From The Bhagavad Gita.


As spoken by Krishna.

1. Because we have been for all time: I and thou, and those Kings of men. And we shall be for all time,we all for ever and ever.

2. As the Spirit I of our mortal body wanders on in childhood,and youth  and old age, the Spirit wanders on to a new body : of this the sage has no doubts.

3.Interwoven in his creation, the Spirit is beyond destruction. No one can bring  to an end the Spirit which is
ever-lasting.

4. For beyond time he dwells in these bodies, though these bodies have an end in their time; but he remains
immeasurable, immortal.

5.If any man thinks he slays, and another thinks he is slain, neither one knows the truth. The Eternal in man
cannot kill; the Eternal in man cannot die.

6 Invisible before birth are all beings and after death invisible again. They are seen between two unseens.Why in this truth find sorrow?

7. The Spirit that is in all beings is immortal in them all ;for the death of what cannot die, cease thou to sorrow.

8.If thy soul finds rest in me, though shall overcome all dangers by my grace; but if thy thoughts are on
thyself , and thou will not listen, thou shalt perish.

9.If thou wilt not fight the battle of life because in selfishness thou art afraid of the battle, thy resolution is in vain: nature will compel thee.

10. Because thou art in the bondage of Karma, of the forces of thine own past life; and that which thou, in thy delusion , with a good will does not want to do. unwillingly thou shalt have to do.

11. God dwells in the heart of all beings,Arjuna:thy God dwells in thy heart. And his power of wonder move all things- puppets in a play of shadows-whirling them onwards on the stream of time

12. Go to him for thy salvation with all thy soul, victorious man. By his grace thou shalt obtain the peace
supreme, thy home of eternity..

13. I have given these words of vision and wisdom more secret than hidden mysteries. Ponder them in the
silence of thy soul, and then in freedom do thy will.

14.Give my mind  to me, and give me thy heart, and thy sacrifice , and thy adoration. This is my Word of promise; thou shalt in truth come to me , for thou art dear to me.

15.Leave all things behind, and come to me for thy salvation: I will make you free from the bondage of sins .Fear no more.

The authorship of the Bhagavad  Gita is unknown. As it contains no reference to Buddhism, and as certain words are archaic, some scholars think that it is pre- Buddhist; i.e. about 500 B.C.

I used  the The Penguin Classic version of the Bhagavad  Gita which was first published in 1962.
Juan Mascaro did the translation for the Penguin Classic version.Most scholars agree that he did a
magnificent  job. It must have been very difficult, I should imagine.

What struck me whilst writing the above, was how similar some verses are to parts of  the Bible's New
Testament.What do you think ?

Mike Selley.

No comments:

Post a Comment