Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Unique Slim Whitman.

One of the greatest country singers of all time left our Earthly realm two days before the Summer Solstice.
He died, at the age of 90 of heart failure.

I'm talking about the wonderful Slim Whitman.He was big in the 1950's, before my teenage years, but I remember, as a child,hearing that extraordinary song, " Love Song Of The Waterfall," drifting out of the kitchen window one Summer morning, while I was intently watching a butterfly land on a rose.

I rushed into the house and demanded that my mother told me who this great singer was. Well, she didn't know.

A few years later Britain had Pirate Radio Stations, and one of them only played Country 'n' Western.It was then that I really discovered the glory and uniqueness of Slim.I mean, who else sung songs like he did ? I loved everything he did. He always put his highly distinctive stamp on every magical record he made.

What gems they were:

His huge hits were: " Love Song Of The Waterfall."

                               " Indian Love Call."

                               " Danny Boy "
   
                               " Secret Love ".

                               " Rose-Marie."

I never, unfortunately, saw him live, but, thanks to YouTube I have, over the last few years, been able to watch his amazing live performances.He always appeared on stage looking immaculate. He dominated every stage that had the honour of having his presence.

When he sang, you could tell that he was giving his all to whatever particular song he sung.He was a master of timing and phrasing, and that coupled with his liquid smooth vocals made every song a joy to behold and hear.His songs were innocent and pure, as a counter to the other country songs at that time that were often about cheating and drinking.

I always thought that if a Zen Master ever did Country music, he would perform just like Slim.

Bless you Slim and thank you for the pleasure you gave and still give me and to millions more .

If there is a Heavenly Choir, my bet is he was recruited into it straight away.After all, one of his songs killed off all those Martians in Mars Attack, so maybe his yodeling will be used to destroy a few Demons !

Tribute by Mike Selley.





No comments:

Post a Comment