Sunday, October 20, 2013

B.B. C World Service's Secret ?

Last week I watched T.V. for the first time in about three years. This stupid act was done against my better judgement.
Mind you, I couldn't take more than half- hour doses a day, as I found it was playing havoc with my perception of the world.

I hasten to add  that I didn't watch to be entertained, but to see what it's like nowadays.

I happened to be alone in a house in a remote part of a lovely Greek island.; Angistri. I was there helping out some friends who had asked me to look after their 8 cats, 2 dogs, two cocks and 5 chickens while they stayed in Athens for two weeks.Oh yes, I had to water the plants too.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and thought I would write loads of blog posts. I didn't write any as I spent most of the time looking after the animals and writing songs.

There was no internet so I didn't have access to my blog . Maybe the fact that I couldn't upload any new stuff put me off writing any.

The T.V though was a shock. A big shock. Do people really watch such drivel everyday ? The T.V had loads of channels, and most of them were Greek, The Greek channels were so, so insane, I am preparing myself before I can write about them, and they will, hopefully, be another blog post.

This post is about the B.B. C. World Service, and what a peculiar service it is. Its presenters seem to have all been middle- aged or older, and they all had the ability to talk to the viewers as if they were all retarded.

Its main message though was : " We live in a hell of a dangerous world, but you're  O.K., secure with us beaming into your homes. You can afford a T.V. and electricity too. Look at the rest of the world though !
Earthquakes, Hurricanes ( favourite  of the fortnight ) Noah's  Ark conditions, weird new diseases, but not where you are. You must feel blessed, as indeed you are. "

What baffled me was that although the station is called the B.B.C. World Service, it only concentrated on India, China and Japan. Europe was totally ignored, but the U.S.A. was mentioned a few times. Watching it you would think that there were no problems in Greece, Spain or Portugal, Italy or France or Ireland, or anywhere else in the world .

The news headlines were repeated every half hour or so. It didn't matter what was reported, whether it was an earthquake or the price of shares; an elderly face would look kindly at you and show no emotion whatsoever, even if thousands had been killed.

For some unknown reason a warning about hurricanes was flashed onto the screen at least three times an hour.

After a bit of thought I realized that the second message was; " Today you're fine, but in the near future anything awful could happen."

Any ongoing event such as the U.S government not operating was an excuse to have a so- called expert to give his take on this. These boffins all said the same thing; it's the end of civilization as we know it.
The days before the Indian tornado, or was it a hurricane ? was an excuse to predict how many thousands would die. Thank God, such predictions were way out of line and very few died.

Business World was a cross between Benny Hill and Monty Python, and what a strange animal that produced. The one presenter I saw looked like he had drunk 10 cups of coffee and had extra strong energy drinks.

Reporting on business affairs must be a pretty boring thing to do I should imagine. I reckon the ones at the top said, " let's try and liven up this business reporting, Let's get that loony who waves his arms about all the time and starts jumping  up and down. Yes, let's get Mr. Hyper ". And they did.

" Shares have tumbled." This guy would almost shout as he waved his hands about and  almost sat on the floor to let the retard viewers know what ' down' meant. He didn't even walk normally, but jumped up and down like someone in a sack race.

As for their ' Hard Talk  programme ' , well, do me a favour.If they think that asking a nobody you have never heard of, what the plot of her new novel is, is 'hard talk '  I don't.

Some unknown film screenwriter was accused of making up lines in a movie about a real event.

The writer looked at the interviewer with pity , as he said, " well, if I didn't do that , there wouldn't be any bloody story "

The title of this post is B.B.C. World Service's Secret . What the hell is it you may well be asking . Could it be the following?

The weather report mystified me as there was this huge map of Europe on the screen, which, for some reason , did not name Greece. Looking at the map you would think  that no such country as Greece exists.

The weather reporter though sometimes mentioned Greece, and would have to point with his stick to the unnamed blob on the map

Perhaps the B.B.C. know something we don't.

Mike Selley.

.





No comments:

Post a Comment